A Sphinx rescued from Paltos
Swarm Sphinx (WC)
Swarm Sphinx are colonies of voracious, beetle-like critters with a disturbing amount of smarts and an unnatural ability for camouflage. Worse, these swarms are capable of forming into a Sphinx shape and altering their appearance so as to have a human face. Their hive-mind intelligence enables them to function as a single organism instead of a mass of squirmy creepy crawlies.
While a swarm Sphinx’s camouflage isn’t nearly finetuned enough to impersonate a particular individual, the insects are capable of appearing Sphinx enough to pass all but the closest inspection. With a casual glance, only a Notice roll (–4) can spot anything amiss with one of these swarms when it’s camouflaged. However, any character who’s specifically looking for a mass of bugs disguising themselves as a Sphinx (for whatever reason) can roll a Notice roll with no modifiers.
These abominations eat like plagues of locusts without quite as discerning a palate. They are more than happy to devour anything organic in nature they
can get their mandibles on to pull apart and consume.
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d12, Spirit d12, Strength d8, Vigor d10
Skills: Fighting d8, Intimidation d6, Knowledge (Riddles) d10 Notice d10, Spellcasting d8
Pace: 6; Parry: 6/8; Toughness: 7
• Edges: Combat Reflexes, Level Headed
• Riddles: Each round as a Free Action, the Sphinx may pose a riddle. Everyone withing normal hearing is compelled to think and answer it. This is an opposed Knowledge Riddles vs. Smarts. Fail (Sphinx) = no effect, Success (Sphinx) = Shaken, Raise = Slowed as well (once Shaken is lifted, the Slowed is lifted). If the player happens to know the riddle, that is an automatic success for them.
• The Power of Riddles (25PPs): Spells have Riddle trappings.
* Blast/Blast (whichever is fireball :))
* Curse (lower Trait on multiple targets)
• Bite: A swarm Sphinx in swarm form inflicts hundreds of bites on anyone caught inside it (Medium Burst Template). It hits automatically each round and
causes 2d6 damage. This damage is applied to the least armored location on a victim.
• Fear –2: Anyone unlucky enough to witness one of these critters change to swarm form must make an immediate Fear check (–2).
• Invulnerability: A swarm Sphinx cannot be wounded while in huSphinx form. If it takes enough damage to cause a wound, it immediately disintegrates into
• Mimicry: A swarm Sphinx is capable of mimicking a general huSphinx appearance, although it cannot copy specific individuals. Shifting to swarm form is a free action, but reforming into a Sphinx shape takes a full round.
• Split: A Swarm Sphinx can split into two smaller swarms (Small Burst Templates) to deal with multiple foes if necessary.
The Toughness of these smaller swarms is reduced by 2 (to 5)
• Swarm: Parry +2; in swarm form, cutting and piercing weapons do no real damage. Area of effect weapons work normally and the abomination’s attacks can be foiled, at least temporarily, by jumping in water. A Joe can make a Fighting attack by stomping each round. If successful, the stomp inflicts his Strength in damage. While in swarm form, the swarm Sphinx cannot use weapons.
What always runs but never walks, often murmurs, never talks, has a bed but never sleeps, has a mouth but never eats?
Will soon turn red
I am always hungry,
I must always be fed,
The finger I touch,
All about, but cannot be seen,
Can be captured, cannot be held,
No throat, but can be heard.
A box without hinges, lock or key, yet golden treasure lies within. What is it?
Lighter than what I am made of,
More of me is hidden than is seen,
I am the bane of the mariner,
A tooth within the sea.
Speak my name.
ICE – Burst (cone) or Blast
The more that there is,
The less that you see.
Squint all you wish when Surrounded by me.
DARKNESS – Blind
They follow and lead, but only as you pass.
Dress yourself in darkest black,
And they are darker still.
Always they flee the light,
Though without the sun there would be none.
SHADOWS -(light) Obscure
I am free for the taking through all of your life,
Though given but once at birth.
I am less than nothing in weight,
But will fell the strongest of you if held.
BREATH – Slow
A spirited jig it dances bright,
Banishing all but darkest night.
Give it food and it will live;
Give it water and it will die.
FIRE – Wall (of Fire)
They come to witness the night Without being called,
A sailor’s guide and a poet’s tears.
They are lost to sight each day Without the hand of a thief.
STARS – Stun
Alive as you but without breath,
As cold in my life as in my death;
Never a thirst though I always drink,
Dressed in a mail but never a clink.
FISH – Armor
Trapped in Paltos prison until rescued by the PCs.